[Amps] power limiting in 8410 amps?

GWP gm5bkc at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 16:34:09 EDT 2018

There is no intentional OUTPUT power limiting circuit in the Alpha 8410
amplifiers.

The 8410 firmware WILL put the amp in standby if the DRIVE power exceeds
75w for too long, to protect the input circuit 50 ohm resistor, but short
peaks do not (intentionally) trigger the protection.

There are resistors between the tubes cathodes (tied together) and ground.
These do limit the gain of the amplifier, and are necessary to prevent the
amp "taking off" and going into uncontrolled oscillations.

On early 8410 production amps there were three 22 ohm resistors in
parallel, giving approx 7 ohms to chassis, this can be measured at the test
points TP1 to chassis and TP4 to chassis, the test points are located at
the right-rear edge of the top power supply board (the Mains Board).

Later 8410 amps and all repairs have 4 of the same 22 ohm resistors
installed in parallel, this increases the gain slightly and also adds
wattage to keep them from being damaged by severe overdrive.  The 4 in
parallel typically measure about 5.7 ohms from each of the two test points
to chassis.

If the resistors measure more than 7 ohms it will be difficult to drive the
8410 to 1500 watts output.  Driving the amp harder and harder can damage
the 50 ohm input resistor.  The cathode resistors can be replaced, they are
inside the tubedeck, between the tube sockets.  They can be accessed by
removing the plate under the tubes, and then removing the Tubedeck Board.
If any 8410 still has the 3 original resistors we always replace them with
4 new ones if an amp is repaired at Alpha for any reason.

https://www.alpharfsystems.com/?ec_store=resistor-22-ohm-5w-cathode-resistor

Glenn AE0Q
Alpha RF Systems

--