[Amps] Choke anomoly

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Mon Nov 12 23:03:11 EST 2018

From: Bill Turner <dezrat at outlook.com>
To: Amps group <amps at contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Choke anomoly

>Any comments  would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Jim  VE7RF

<REPLY

<You don't need a  choke at all, at least for SSB or CW. A choke is a
<constant-current device, exactly wrong for SSB and CW.  Just bypass it
<and be sure you have at  least 35 uF of capacitance.  Your  SSB or CW
<amps needs a constant voltage source, not constant current.

<73, Bill W6WRT

##  Bill this is for a C – L – C filter.  The software  depicts  superb   dynamic
regulation, with or without the choke.   The addition of the choke just kills the
ripple to an extreme low value.  I can  shunt the choke  with a spst 25 kv
ceramic vac relay.  Then it becomes a C-C network... IOW  2 x filter caps
in parallel.   I used  the stepped load feature of  PSUD..and toggled between
normal idle current..and full bore plate current ( asap, instantaneous load switch),
then  compared the C – L – C   vs the  C-C.

##  heres what does not work, a   C-L    or  C-C-L.   In those cases, the  choke
provides zero ripple reduction, none.

##  What else that does work is a C-R-C  filter.   Not as  good as a choke,  but  extremely
effective.   Again, what does not work is a C-R  or  C-C-R filter, no improvement in  ripple.

Jim   VE7RF