[Amps] heat sinks

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Sun Nov 18 20:50:49 EST 2018

Now here is some nostalgia.

In the early days of SS, or at least a couple decades back I had a stack
of big heatsinks. Some were a foot wide and longer than that I have no
recollection of where they came from. I only remember, someone made me a
good offer (really, really cheap by today's prices) and I sold the whole
bunch. NOW I wish I had them back.  Of course after being a ham for 57
years there are a lot of things I can say that about like the early SS
600 W out 2-meter amp. Pushing 600W through quasi air core coax to a
stacked pair of 14L KLMs sure worked well on simplex back in the 1970s.

73, Roger (K8RI)

On 11/17/2018 4:50 PM, Larry wrote:
> Manfred,
>
> I've played with some "highly efficient" amps. Don't like the
> complexity. For me at least, simpler is better. I can throw together a
> simple inefficient AB linear in a heartbeat. Electricity is no problem
> as I am right next to Grand Coulee Dam, cheapest power in the world.
>
> I've used up all the heat sink stock I've collected over the years,
> and since I no longer live where there are hamfests and salvage yards,
> I don't have an easy way to replace them.
>
> Lucky for me a few of this lists members have come to my rescue and I
> may have enough available shortly to keep me going for a few more years.
>
> And yes, I have found no supplier better than HeatsinkUSA.
>
> Thanks & 73,
>
> Larry - W7IUV
>

> On 11/16/2018 12:39 PM, Manfred Mornhinweg wrote:
>> Larry,
>>
>> my reply won't be the most helpful, but anyway:
>>
>> Make a highly efficient amplifier. Then you don't need a huge heatsink.
>>
>> Other than this, Heatsink USA is where I have bought heatsinks
>> several times. Even from my location in Chile, with much more
>> expensive international shipping, it was my best option.
>>
>> Since then I have been collecting enough heatsinks from scrapped
>> equipment to last for a while. Some huge ones come from a Siemens
>> excitation control system for a big hydroelectric generator, and a
>> big and very dense one, suitable for dissipating several kilowatts of
>> heat with the help of a powerful blower, came from a Peltier chiller.
>>
>> Maybe you can find some good big ones in industrial scrap yards. VVF
>> drives for motors are massively used, rarely repaired when they fail,
>> and the bigger ones often have rather large heatsinks in them.
>>
>> Manfred

Roger (K8RI)