[Amps] LDMOSFET questions for insiders

Manfred Mornhinweg manfred at ludens.cl
Mon Nov 19 09:07:42 EST 2018

Doug,

thanks for that link. What I take home from reading it is that I should
expect a somewhat reduced total dissipation capability when avalanching
is involved.

But doubts remain as to whether that fully applies to LDMOSFETs used in
RF amplifiers, and of course the actual avalanche energy and power
ratings of the specific LDMOSFETs I might use.

The paper is specific to VDMOSFETs operating in switched mode with
inductive loads. An LDMOSFET might behave differently (I don't know),
and in RF amplifier use there can be avalanching while the device is
still partially on. I would imagine that this is a particularly critical
operating condition, leading to lower avalanching specs than for
inductive switching, but I can't find any data on it.

Could it really be that nobody has ever investigated this and published
on it?

Manfred