[Amps] Alpha 87A problems

Ron Youvan ka4inm at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 07:48:44 EDT 2018

   On 10/02/2018 10:06 AM, Paul W9AC Christensen wrote:

>> "IMHO uPC hardware to control a QRO tube amplifier is anathema and only
> works when executed adroitly and with a whole bunch of design provisos and
> inbuilt protections to make the scheme robustly bulletproof."

   I don't have a dog in this fight, but I do not see what is wrong with
simple "RTL logic" for control and monitoring when done properly, it is
a scheme that cannot become obsolete, also it can be serviced by anyone
with an understanding of simple logic, forever.

   As a retired broadcast transmitter supervisor that repaired both kinds
of systems the differences (other than on the showroom floor) is:

	incorrect factory advice only with CPU controlled amplifiers
   and
	$2,000 brain board (exchange) charges because one IC went bad
only with CPU controlled amplifiers

   RTL is resistor transistor logic.  (including Op-Amps)
--
   Ron  KA4INM - Youvan's corollary:
                 Every action results in unwanted side effects.