[Amps] Super Cathode Driven Tetrodes

Fuqua, Bill L wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Sat Oct 20 05:04:21 EDT 2018

 Check out July 1967 QST.

Bill Orr has a super cathode driven 4cx300A where the control grid is  connected to the cathode and screen grid directly to ground. Very low distortion and should be completely stable.

Now I know where the notion comes from about Super Cathode Driven Amplifiers.
  Basically it is like the tube is operating class AB1 but instead of the screen grid being bias to several hundred volts and the control grid swinging to near zero volts on signal peaks, it is the opposite.
   The control grid remains zero in respect to the cathode and the cathode swings negative the same several hundred volts relative to ground and the screen grid bias.
   The best parts of this idea is that there are no bias voltages required, the idling current is quite low, practically no grid current due to the design of the 4CX300 tube design and very low distortion and all the drive power is added to the plate output as well.
   Down side, power gain is low, around 5. Compared to 15 or more with most grounded grid triodes.

73
Bill wa4lav