[Amps] Super Cathode Driven Tetrodes

Manfred Mornhinweg manfred at ludens.cl
Mon Oct 29 13:38:45 EDT 2018

Bill,

> Can anyone give me a reason why a cathode driven tetrode with the control
> grid connected directly to
> the cathode be unstable. The screen grid is connected directly to ground.

While I'm definitely not a tube guru, let alone with such nonstandard
configurations, I will risk a pure guess:

The inductance of grid and screen connections is probably about the
same, or at least within the same order of magnitude. But the
plate-screen capacitance is very much larger than the plate-grid
capacitance in the normal RF-grounded screen, driven grid configuration.
So the resonant frequency of the screen structure might be low enough to
become a problem. It is often very close to being a problem in
conventional circuits - hence multiple screen connection, screen rings,
screen bypass caps built into sockets, and so on. Add just a little more
phase shift, and you get a power oscillator.

If the same tube is run with both screen and grid grounded, the total
capacitance between plate and the grounded parts is not much increased,
but the inductance is halved, and the grid-cathode capacitance might
help stabilizing the circuit. So this might be more stable than joining
the grid to the cathode.

The (in)stability of such an amplifier must depend a lot on the
characteristics of the tube used, and construction quality. Short,
direct, multiple grounding connections to a chassis, input on one side,
output on the other, are the conventional techniques. More modern
techniques involve a complete phase/amplitude analysis over the whole
frequency range and at all possible tuning settings.

Warning repeated: I'm just guessing. I have never used, let alone worked
on such a super cathode driven amplifier.

Manfred