[Amps] QRO 2500DX MARK lll 4CX800

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Sat Apr 6 10:42:27 EDT 2019

From: gudguyham at aol.com
Sent: Thursday, April 4, 2019 2:31 PM
To: jim.thom at telus.net ; invertech at frontierisp.net.au
Cc: amps at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] QRO 2500DX MARK lll 4CX800

  ##  A  dead simple,  single chinese  8877  GG  triode amp makes more sense.
  2 x  3-500Z is also dead simple..and instant on, no grid current
  protection required..perhaps a simple  fast  3agc  grid fuse  at most.

<If NOS 8877 tubes were like the GU-74 you bet your bibby all the amps using GU-74's would be 8877's

## At  $350.00  each, or  $700.00  for a pair,  ( thats not a matched pair either)

##  The  chinese  8877  has  now  skyrocketed  to an  absurd  $1075.00     http://www.ameritron.com/Product.php?productid=383-1500-A7F

##  The eimac version is beyond  insane  at   $2095.00       http://www.ameritron.com/Product.php?productid=383-1500-A7-2

##  For  $200  more than the  grossly overpriced  8877,  you get this   https://www.rfparts.com/tubes/tubes-trans/tube-tran-taylor/tubes-taylortran-3cx/3cx15000a7-tay.html

##  Greenstone brand  3CX-3000A7s   typ sell for  $799.00   brand new, readily available..come with a  2 yr warranty.

## Back when  GU-74s  were $50 to  $75  years ago,   I suggested folks stock pile a few of em.   1-2  did, the  rest complained of  skyrocketing prices.

##  Interesting times we live in.  Tubes  prices have  gone nuts,  and  SS  is  not  quite there..yet.

Jim   VE7RF