[Amps] SSR in amp PS not working as expected

David G4FTC g4ftc at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 7 05:22:02 EST 2019

Hi All,

I use SSRs as a mains input contactor in three HT PSUs. The SSRs are driven from a monitoring circuit which shuts down the PSU in the event of over drive, excessive currents, etc., being detected. The oldest PSU is now over 15 years old and I have experienced no problems with the SSRs.

I place a 1000pF capacitor and a reverse diode across the input to avoid issues from stray RF or reverse polarity. I don't know if either a strictly necessary but I added them as standard practice.

FYI in my W6PO HT PSU I use a Crydom D2450, from the datasheet the main control element comprises of dual back-to-back thyristors. The other PSUs also use Crydom SSRs which I haven't checked for part numbers but I believe are all back to back thyristor units - it was just easier to take the cover off the W6PO PSU to see what I had used!

Hope this helps

David G4FTC