[Amps] New settings on Alpha 77SX

Gary Smith Gary at ka1j.com
Tue Jan 15 16:06:50 EST 2019

Here's a new bit that happened last night.

I was on 160 and discovered the grid
became excessive as I was transmitting, I
had to back the loading cap back down to
keep it WNL and the power was dropping
proportionally to the increase of grid
current.

When I stopped transmitting and let the
tubes cool for 30 or so seconds, the power
came back to normal. Transmit again and
shortly after, the grid current rose and
power output fell. SWR always remains
constant.

Before I open the amp up, any suggestions
what I might look at? I'm thinking the
caps have failed and with Tx, there's heat
in the the caps & the values change and
show the issue. Maybe I need to replace
the 160 padding caps? It shows this on no
other band.

73,

Gary
KA1J