[Amps] SS Amps are expensive...why?

Manfred Mornhinweg manfred at ludens.cl
Sat Jan 26 13:18:49 EST 2019

Bill,

what you describe points out again that it's important for developers to
look not just at the close-in IMD, but also at the wider spectrum. By
law all spurious output of a transmitter needs to be suppressed below a
certain level, and in practice a good transmitter suppresses such
products even more, so that under normal conditions they cannot be
detected over the air.

It's not clear to me how exactly that sizzling sounded and looked. But
there are several phenomena that can cause a transmitter to produce
spurious output at 10kHz from the main signal. Among them:

- Frequency synthesizer phase noise

- High order IMD

- Power supply noise

- Inadequate filtering after conversion from a very low IF

Any of these can happen due to bad design, or due to a failure.

I have heard many bad signals on the air. When I do, I usually report it
to the ham whose radio has a problem. Sometimes such a report is
welcome, but at other times it isn't. Some hams just don't like hearing
that their beloved radio is working poorly, and take such a report as a
personal attack!

Manfred