[Amps] Most Dangerous Amp For Sale

Mike Furrey mikefurrey at att.net
Tue Mar 26 19:07:03 EDT 2019

My first post here ... Soooo my YL went to an estate sale this past Saturday and came home to show me some photos of radio parts,
she is also a ham. I said lets go. Prowling around I found (after I found some nice parts and a Hygain beam) behind a rack of clothes, a "electronic
machine" as the estate organizer referred to it. The "electronic machine" is homebrew 4-1000 amp built in a rack cabinet. I acquired it (don't need it) so it would not end up in the trash. This thing may have been based on an article in QST, July 1963 (article was in the amp).

The power supple appears to be a pole-peg transformer (about 100 lbs), a string of 38 diodes (no equalization) two GE oil filed capacitors, each 7 mFd at 5000 VDC, and a choke that weighs about 30 lbs. It might have been a full wave rectifier. Nothing was connected so I am not sure if this thing was ever finished and used or someone started disassembling it. All the p/s parts were sitting in the bottom of a 6 foot rack cabinet.

The RF deck ... anyway ... when I built my first amp (pair of 813s) in my high school shop class (1967) ... well, I knew better then about doing it right ... The tube is held to the top of the chassis by some homemade circular clamp. There is NO tube socket! the connections to the pins were by some clamp on each pin. It does have a pressured chassis and the correct chimney (it just sits there, no finger stock holding it). There was absolutely NO shielding, all the high voltage circuits were totally exposed. Pity if there was a cat in the house, I didn't see any fried remains. The tube has a very very light brown tint on the bottom, inside. The plates are not discolored.

Among the parts in the house I did find a socket, no part number on it, it is not ceramic, but silver plated.

I will have this stuff at the Sevierville, TN hamfest (I am in Oak Ridge) this weekend, not sure what to ask for it, I do have an idea on used prices for the parts and I sure would like to make a package deal on it, rack cabinet with crappy paint job included. I have plenty of amps.

Plenty of pictures are available if anyone is interested, it bears no resemblance to the article in looks.

Thanks es 73, Mike WA5POK