[Amps] Fwd: Re: SB-220 Bias Issue, Too High of Plate Voltage?

Jim jimw7ry at gmail.com
Mon May 20 09:05:42 EDT 2019

MOST of the Harbach stuff is safe, but costs at least twice what it
should. Stay away from the Nichrome parasitic suppressors (too much L,
that makes 'em run WAY hot on 28 MHz). Rebuild your using Globar (WAY
expensive) or NOS carbon composition resistors. Ebay seller
'bigsmythe74' has 56/10%/2W for $1/each plus $4/order. See #400880759592
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/400880759592>.

In the HV meter multiplier string, Heathkit used three 4M7/1W carbon
composition resistors to TRY to make 'em last (it didn't work). CC
resistors absorb moisture ('cuz they're not sealed), and then soar in
value. It's more noticeable in high nominal value resistors. Later
aftermarket SB-22x rectifier/meter boards substituted fourteen 1M0 Metal
Film resistors. The easiest/cheapest thing to do is upgrade the OE PCB.
I replaced R6/R7/R9 with 4M7/1W/5% "Metal Glaze" resistors (Vishay
pn VR68000004704JAC00). The datasheet (*link*
<http://www.vishay.com/docs/28907/vr25vr37vr68.pdf>) sez they're OK to
10KV. Digi-Key stocks 'em for $0.78 each. The rectifiers are kinda wimpy
and should be upgraded to 1N5408 (3A/1KV). Order an extra rectifier to
add between -HV and chassis for meter protection. Tom W8JI shows how
here (*link* <http://www.w8ji.com/metering_amplifier.htm>).

The electrolytic capacitors in the HV supply can be changed to CDE
381LR-series. If you stay below about 300uF, a step-start circuit
(Harbach "Soft Start") isn't needed. Everyone sells 'em for about
$6/each (to fit the OE plastic holder, you want 35mm OD). Replace the
30Ω/7W wirewound resistors w/ 100KΩ/3W Metal Oxide types. Your HV filter
capacitors will like less heat.

I like Jim W7RY's "QSK" circuit. It drives FAST vacuum/reed relays that
eliminate hot-switching when using VOX (fone) or semi/full break-in
(Morse). You also get a relay driver (Harbach "Soft Key"), adjustable
operating bias, relay contacts that will never oxidize, and dead quiet
operation.

The cooling fan from Grainger is Dayton pn 4M070 (*link*
<http://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON-1-150-HP-C-Frame-Motor-4M070>)...
for over twice the cost from Harbach ($50). For the extra cost, Harbach
supplies a fan blade.

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC