[Amps] SB-220 HV Transformer Wanted ; thread stolen for

Carl km1h at jeremy.qozzy.com
Tue Nov 5 13:56:11 EST 2019

As a First Radiotelephone holder since 1956 and currently keeping a vintage
Bauer 707 running on the BCB I certainly agree.

That TX uses PP 4-400A's for RF and Audio and tetrodes/pentodes are NEVER
used as Class B modulators. Instead they run AB1 for minimum distortion.

IMO there is no absolute cast in stone point for Class B or AB2 be it for RF
or audio; grid driven or GG for RF.

I run GG triodes as dedicated,or bias switched, AM linears but biased closer
to Class B in order to reduce idle current and increase efficiency a bit. A
Spectrum Analyzer is used to set the point where distortion just begins to
show.

A NCL-2000 is also used with low power AM exciters. It is swamped grid
driven now in deep AB2 and bias can be set for a clean 1200W PEP thanks to a
very efficient/strong forced air cooled blower system. Gotta love those high
gain 8122 tetrodes!

Carl