[Amps] GS35B Amps Common Problem / few more comments

Martin Sole hs0zed at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 22:32:53 EST 2019

I think it might fit, just about, There is about 73mm clearance from the
tops of the 8874's to the cabinet of the 78. The 8877 measures about
43mm taller than the tiny 8874. so there would still be a good bit of
clearance.

Reworking the plenum would seem a reasonable requirement. This could be
made larger also by removing the stock blower and mounting something
more appropriate on the rear of the cabinet. Suitably designing the
plenum should allow for a 50mm x 50mm or similar sized opening. Even
quite a large blower should not protrude above cabinet height. A
toroidal filament transformer might go where the removed blower was and
allow nice short leads.

The HT is woefully short however but there seems enough current for
overall power. People who have done the conversion to 3CX800's say they
can get plenty of power so perhaps a doubler from 2000 to 4000 volts at
appropriately reduced current might not be such a bad compromise.

However this is all quite a bit of work for a tube which, yet again, is
becoming somewhat precious. Replacement 8874's can still be had, just,
at around US$1500 for the 3, 3CX800's at around US$1000 a pair and
8877's at circa US$500-800 (*) depending on source. Not outrageous but
not pocket fluff either. Still there are no tubes which can achieve this
degree of performance and likely available for the next 50 years at
US$50 a piece (**).

The 3CX3000A7 is indeed an interesting choice though I think that really
is too big for the 76/78 chassis without a top hat. Given how many 76/78
amplifiers are out there that could be otherwise consigned to the B.E.R.
pile it might not be such a big deal. Taller custom front panel and a
taller custom wrap around top cover, an extra 100mm might be enough. Re
designed plenum and external blower. Voltage doubler on the power supply
which might be sufficient power for 1500 watts SSB service or a custom
transformer to take account of the increased space from the taller cabinet.

It might be easier than a full home brew since a lot of the parts are in
place but still probably beyond the average US extra class ham these days.

I have a Henry 2k console that is a bit of a semi basket case. The
3CX3000A7 might be a tempting retrofit. It is the Classic Export version
so has the super HD transformer. But at 9 inches high the Henry is still
too short for such a tube. The cabinet butchery required would seem a
bit extreme.

Martin, HS0ZED

(*) Based on prices I have been able to source, YMMV.
(**) Not that I've been able to identify, YMMV.