[Amps] GS35B Amps Common Problem / few more comments

Carl km1h at jeremy.qozzy.com
Fri Nov 8 20:47:20 EST 2019

The 8877 is only as good as the amp designer AND the user. You guys are the
high end exceptions!

Many want to push them well beyond 1500W, have poor to no protection, never
do PM such as vacuuming the air path.

OTOH you have to go to extremes to hurt a 3CX3000!

I have one of those original 8877 high gain 1978 date codes in a Dentron
2000L. It came from a 77DX that the owner wanted the "improved" lower gain
version. After some important changes it is used often as an AM linear at a
modest 1200W.

A later one is in a homebrew 222 MHz amp that does an easy 1500W but outside
of contests gets little use.

In early MRI's the pulse versions had a relatively short life of remaining
within the IMD spec.

OTOH the very rugged 3CX1000A7 I bought as a used TV translator tube 35
years ago still runs 1500W in my HB 2M amp.

 I do not liike tube failures and have managed to get 40 years + from the
8122's (NCL-2000s on 6M andf HF AM amp for low power exciters)  8873 (HF and
6M versions of a SB-230 for portable),  3 x 8874 in an Alpha 76PA that gets
regular HF use, and 8875's in a MLA 2500..

Carl
KM1H
Coming up fast on 64 years as a ham