[Amps] re interfacing IC-706 to alpha 9500

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Nov 13 02:49:18 EST 2019

HSEND is TX GND for HF/50 MHz.
VSEND is TX GND for  VHF/144 MHz.

So use HSEND.  Maximum current is 20 ma.  If you use a milliameter to short
the Alpha 9500 KEY IN line to ground (with amp. in OPERATE mode), and the
relay closes, and you measure less that 20 ma across the meter, then it
should be safe to connect HSEND (ACC2 Pin 3) and GND (ACC2 Pin 2) to KEY IN.

However, the IC-706 may generate power spikes, so be prepared to adjust
drive power accordingly.  Furthermore, this page claims the IC-706mkIIg
dangerously opens the HSEND output 4.5 ms *before* the IC-706 RF
terminates, when in QSk mode, which is probably going to generate a lot of
hot switching and keyclicks.  So avoid QSK.

https://www.w0qe.com/amplifier_timing.html

73,
Bob, N6TV