[Amps] re interfacing IC-706 to alpha 9500

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Wed Nov 13 13:10:24 EST 2019

Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2019 20:52:37 -0700
From: "Fern Rivard" <crc at cyberlink.ca>
To: "Amplifiers" <Amps at contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] re interfacing IC-706 to alpha 9500

<I want to interface my Icom IC-706 M II G to my alpha 9500 amplifier.
<I have the OPC-599 adapter cable c/w an eight pin male plug to into the ACC2
<connector.
<Which option should I use on ACC2,  pin #3 Hsend or pin #6 Vsend and can I
<safely use that without anything else in line?
<73 from Fern  VE7GZ

##  To  get  around the  overshoot / spike  problem,  try  this method.
9V  battery  wired to  the  far  ends  of a 1 megohm pot.   Wiper of  pot
goes  to  ALC  input  on  ICOM.  Wiper  then  will have  0-9  vdc
applied to the  ALC jack.   Wiper  must  be  negative,  so  negative  of
battery  to top  of  pot.... and  positive  of  battery to  bottom  of  pot.

##  Positive  of  battery  /  bottom  of  pot  also  bonds to  chassis of  radio.

##  easy  to  do  with  just the  usual   male RCA  connector on a length  of  cable,
like  58-u...  or  174-u .   Power  consumption is  zilch.

##  set  PO  on  radio  to   say  70-100  watts.    Tweak  1 meg  pot  for  desired
PO....  like  50  watts.  Scream  all  u  want,    it  wont  exceed  50  watts.   It  cant.
You  have  already developed the  ALC  vdc...externally....and  its  applied
continuously.  No  spikes,  no  overshoots.  End  of  issue.

Jim   VE7RF