[Amps] Coolant for liquid-cooled solid-state amp

Ron Youvan ka4inm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 16:37:24 EDT 2019

   Bob N3XKB wrote:

> Plain ol' distilled water will remove heat a lot better than diluting it
> with glycol, however the chemistry may dictate using it.  De ionized water
> is much more corrosive than distilled even if it starts life as a very poor
> conductor, but will quickly leech metal ions into the solution (although
> not much volume!) and will likely become more conductive faster than
> starting with plain distilled, but it might be a photo finish as to which
> needs to get replaced first.    Just an FYI, and I hope this has a slightly
> beneficial SNR.  If not, I apologize for taking up the space.

   Bob is right, 10% polypropylene glycol and 90% steam distilled H2O is
about as good as it gets,* short if synthetic coolant fluid for over
$900 per gallon.  You don't need to go over 10% polypropylene glycol
unless your system is in danger of freezing, then as long as you don't
live in an iceberg 30% polypropylene glycol is all that you will ever
need.
  * For the best heat carrying properties and corrosion resistance.
--
    Ron  KA4INM - Understanding is much better than
                                        knowing how.