[Amps] The things that make you smile

Artek Manuals Manuals at ArtekManuals.com
Fri Oct 25 15:29:42 EDT 2019

And the hardest part for most of us was finding a local parts store.... 8^(

Don't get me wrong I have been sticking pins in the Radio Schlock doll
for over 30 years for putting the little guys out of business., and they
got what they deserve..but it is a sad state of affairs that I must wait
3 weeks for a  poor quality, inferior part to come from PRC.

Rant over ...thanks for the story

Dave
NR1DX

On 10/25/2019 2:53 PM, Gary Smith wrote:
> Small thing but a fun win... Noise
> cancelling headphones on so I hear no fan
> from the amp. Looked at the watts out &
> see I'm barefoot. Looked over, amp is dead
> (always a bad sign).
>
> 1st thing, yes, power is present. 2nd
> thing, check fuses; one is dead but notice
> the fuse comes out with some small
> difficulty. Look closely & see a small bit
> of oxidation. Replace the fuse & nothing.
> had a feeling and wiggled the cap & sure
> enough, it's an intermittent. A photo of
> the interior of the holder shows it's
> oxidised & the spring is shot. Must have
> been a really resistive junction when it
> was working... needed to replace the fuse
> holder.
>
> Nothing on hand is short enough to fit in
> the SX, power resistor in the way. One of
> the few remaining parts stores is fairly
> close & they had a holder that fitted &
> got more fuses just in case. A minor
> hassle of disassembly getting the old
> holder out & the new one in. While digging
> into it, I replaced the NTE9762 24V
> voltage regulator with a NTE1956 as was
> was earlier advised. Cleaned & deoxited
> the boards & relays. Replaced two meter
> lights & sonofagun, it's working like a
> charm.
>
> Total cost about $14 in parts & the better
> part of an afternoon/evening to get & do
> everything. Back in operation the same day
> & done cheap.
>
> It's the little things...
>
> 73,
>
> Gary