[Amps] SB220 Replacement transformer

Dennis W0JX w0jx at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 30 23:52:23 EDT 2019

Joe's recommendation is a solid one for those who cannot find a used Heath HV transformer. Remember that any used Heath transformer is going to be old and whether it was abused is unknown. The Antek transformer is new and operates well in the 220's doubler circuit.  Joe's use of the toroidal core transformer is based on the modifications done by Lee Jennings, ZL2AL. You can see it at the following link:

https://www.zl2al.com/1807/heathkit-sb-220-modifications/

Yes, if you care about having an absolutely stock SB220 then this transformer is not for you. But the SB220 is so numerous that it is not a collector's item. I run my 220 on CW in the SSB position all the time. As Joe wrote, just back down the drive and run less out. BTW, the 3-500z tube runs more efficiently at a higher plate voltage.

73, Dennis W0JX