[Amps] GS35B Amps Common Problem / few more comments

gudguyham at aol.com gudguyham at aol.com
Thu Oct 31 09:04:48 EDT 2019

Tony King has comprehensive data on this tube on his webpage.  It is interesting to note that the data sheet actually calls out a degradation of performance of the tube running on a frequency of 60cm.  I assume running 24/7.  The data shows that at a anode V of 2500 volts and anode I of .7A a new tube will make 800 watts output.  Then after 500 hours of use it will drop down to 650 watts.  Although this is for 60cm and not HF frequencies, does a similar degradation take place on HF?  Maybe, and it may be a longer period of time however and going above the 2500v anode voltage, it may add less time to the Po.  I know many hams pushing these tubes to a plate voltage of 4KV and a bit higher to match the performance of an 8877.
Many years ago I was told that the GS-35b was "the poor man's 8877", indeed the $135.00 price for a new one was attractive compared to that of an 8877 so I tried one in the same setting as an 8877 for a comparison.  All things being equal I took an Ameritron Al-82 and I retrofitted in a GS-35b a little tweaking or the input and I had a perfectly working unit with a GS-35b.  Having the pleasure of also having an Al-1500 on hand I made comparisons on band and  power in vs power out.  I was sadly disappointed when I realized to get the same performance from the GS35b vs an 8877 I would need more than the 100 watts I had available for test purposes.  In retrospect, the GS-35b had a bit of an edge over the pair of 3-500's and in comparison one could say that the GS-35b had it over the 3-500's  for all things being equal.  Comparing to the 8877 was no contest.
The Ameritron amps in question all run plate voltage of 3600v.  Price wise the tube is very attractive and I can see the affection for it however I myself stayed with 8877's and never looked back.