[Amps] HV Fuse

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Sat Sep 21 09:50:11 EDT 2019

Vic,

I think you're suggesting that small differences in a HV fuse's open time, even if within spec, can effectively create a delayed-action or slow-blow fuse type when multiple fuses are paralleled.  That would require looking at the specs for fast, slow, and delayed-response fuses to determine if it's even a factor.   Possibly the delay in paralleled fast-blow fuses doesn't come near the delay of the other two types.

I'm fine with the main HV fuse used ahead of the glitch resistor.  The amp uses a 3CV1500A7 and its power supply pretty much limits power to 1500W max.  It was designed ca. 1970 under the old FCC power rules.   In this case, a single 900 mA/5KV microwave oven HV fuse should work fine.  There's ample room in the RF deck to mount it on glazed porcelain standoffs.

The bigger issue is the use of a HV fuse between the transformer secondary and C-input filter in an attempt to save the rectifier stacks during a fault event that occurs after the filter cap and before the glitch resistor.  I've not seen it implemented anywhere but was mentioned by VE7RF in this post:

 http://lists.contesting.com/_amps/2017-11/msg00149.html

Even with step-start, I'm skeptical of its effectiveness due to the high initial surge current at start-up.  So, perhaps just relying on the 20A ABC mains fuses is still best.

The Alpha 70V uses four Semtech SCH5000 HV rectifier blocks.  They're rated by Semtech at 5KV PIV but only 0.5A at 55 degs C, or 1.0 A with continuous forced air at 55 degs C.  This is a 1960s design and barely meets the margins for this amp.  I have spares so I used them in the repair.  But, if it occurs again, I'll either use modern equivalents with better specs or a string of 6A10s on a new, custom PC board.

Paul, W9AC