[Amps] LDMOS HF amps

GEORGE WALLNER aa7jv at atlanticbb.net
Mon Aug 10 14:35:28 EDT 2020

Don,
I doubt that you will reliably get 1500 W out of a single BLF189 device. I
have built three amps with single 188 pallets. With 49 V VDD they had
outputs of 860 to 1140 W from 160 to 10 meters. (I have tweaked the output
filters for minimum loss -- around 0.4 dB). With a VDD of 50 V a 189 will
may give you 1200 W.
But 1000 W is decent output from any amplifier. If you must have more,
either use two pallets (I have built three of those using the Russian EB104
pallets) or, once you have your first single device amplifier working, build
a second one and combine the two. I have used such a configuration (via
splitter/combiner) for a reliable 1500 W on the Baker Island DXpedition.
Conservative, reliable and with redundancy.

GL and 73,
George,
AA7JV/C6AGU