[Amps] History of Grounded Grid Amplfiers

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Sat Dec 12 13:12:11 EST 2020

An interesting subject.  I went into the QST archives after reading Jim's post...

The first reference of any kind to "grounded grid" amplification appears on the 02/1948 issue of QST where the concept is used in a 6m tetrode amplifier.  As Jim pointed out, tetrodes were used extensively in GG applications and that concept remained in a large number of amp projects that appear in QST all through the 1950s.

In the 08/1961 issue of QST, Eimac's Orr, Sutherland, and Rinaudo discuss a GG amp and mention the difficulty of measuring grid current.  Their solution in that project was to use a 1-ohm carbon comp resistor in the grid lead with an RF bypass cap to the chassis.  The voltage dropped across the resistor is then used to report grid current.

But in the next QST issue (09/1961), Sutherland writes an article on what may be the first implementation of B- isolation above chassis ground.  See p. 14 of the September issue for a PS schematic that resembles what we expect to see today.  Anyway, that's the first appearance I see in QST but B- chassis isolation may have already been published in application notes by Eimac or Machlett.   Possibly B- isolation was published earlier in IEEE or even IRE, its predecessor.

Regarding the joining of electrical circuit ground and neutral in an amp, that practice lasted at least through the early 1980s.   ETO's 70/77 series amps use a 120VAC blower that tap one side of 240VAC and <gulp> the chassis.  Through the production life of the 77 which lasted into the early/mid 1980s, the effect of such wiring is to ground the neutral in the equipment.  That's not strictly an NEC violation since the NEC is a premise wiring standard and not a products wiring standard.  Still, the practice would violate UL and other product certification standards.

Thankfully, the fix is easy in the 70/77 series.  One simply cuts a jumper on the Cinch-Jones power plug.  The 3-wire power cord is discarded, replaced by a 4-wire power cable.  Not even the top cover of these amps requires removal for the change.

Paul, W9AC