[Amps] Ten Tec Titan 425

gudguyham at aol.com gudguyham at aol.com
Tue Dec 15 19:25:36 EST 2020

The 425 amp has a very keen anti-hotswitching “ watchdog” circuit.  You’ll notice if you try to use a foot pedal for example to key the amp and you have the radio feeding a signal in before you switch the amp, the amp won’t key.  Like wise if the radio is putting out a signal and you unkey the amp it won’t return to rx until you cut the drive power.  This circuit totally protects from hot keying.  Totally impossible.  This circuit monitors the input so239 for RF.  A resistor is in series with any RF at the input jack, rectifies it and it disables the keying circuit if RF is present there before the switching of the output relay.  The sample resistor is only a small quarter watt resistor.  Normally when driving the amp you’ll never need more than 55 watts or so.  At 55 watts the resistor can handle the current.  If you run a full 100 watts that resistor always passes current.  Sustained power burns up that resistor over time.  Many I see have a burn mark on them, but they still work. One guy send me one for repair and he sent the power of an SB200 through the amp on bypass and roasted the resistor and burned a hole in the PC board.  That’s when I discovered this.  When I asked him if he ran high power thru the amp when it was off he said “ how did you know that”.

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail