[Amps] Kilovac relay in MFJ 2020 catalog

Jim Garland 4cx250b at miamioh.edu
Thu Feb 20 19:27:26 EST 2020

I've long wondered whether these speed-up circuits that pulse vacuum relay coils with an overvoltage also exacerbate contact bounce and possibly shorten the relay life. Intuitively that seems reasonable, though I've not taken any data to check out the possibility. A few years ago, I wrote up my personal QSK design and some of the accompanying relay data for QST (June 2015, and http://www.w8zr.net/QSK/). and at the time looked at the switching characteristics of numerous vacuum relays. I found a wide variation in the amount of contact bounce. The Gigavac G41C, used in the Alpha 9500,  typically had a half dozen or more bounces before the contacts settled down. That was a particularly noisy relay, with an audible twang when the movable contact slammed into its mating contact. The best relay, bounce-wise, was the Jennings RJ1A, which switched in about 2 msec, was nearly silent, and showed no bounce. There are various clones of the Jennings design, but I didn't check any of them. On the basis of the data, I chose the RJ1A for my "contest-rated" 160/80m duoband amplifier, and it's been great. (It's probably not hefty enough for the upper HF bands in that kind of application.)
73,
Jim W8ZR