[Amps] FW: Amp causing RFI

Matt maflukey at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 01:14:05 EST 2020

Hi Gary,

The Ten-Tec uses 4 pair of push-pull finals outputting into a set of
relay-switched low pass filter networks.    You might want to check the 40m
low pass filter section.   I would do a quick visual check of the caps in
the 40m low pass section.  Silver mica caps are popular for this application
so look for any burnt spots in the center of the caps.   If you have access
to a frequency response analyzer you can also sweep the filter to verify its
performance, at least at a low signal power level.    I have two home brewed
solid state amps that use similar circuitry and have on occasion managed to
damage various low pass filter sections.

Hope this helps & good luck.

73
Matt
KM5VI

I have a Tentec Hercules II amplifier. When I am on 40 meters only it sets
off my neighbors outside motion light. I know these lights are a problem,
but what has me concerned is when I run my old SB-230 at the same power
level his light does not come on.
Do you think this indicates some purity issues with the Tentec amp?
Maybe something in the VHF range?
I wonder if an old fashioned low pass filter might help. Any ideas?
Gary K4MT