[Amps] SPE-2K power supply issue

Martin Sole hs0zed at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 09:10:31 EDT 2020

Hi,

I am looking at an SPE-2K for a friend. When checked last week the amp
appeared to function mostly okay but would not amplify. Metering
indication was no high voltage supply. Having bought the amp to my QTH I
have examined it in more detail. On opening the high voltage supply, a
MeanWell RSP 3000-48, 48 volt 62.5 amp, I found 3 dead and decaying
geckos, native to these parts and quite prolific.Having removed them and
any remaining detritus I switched on the amplifier and find the supply
gives the green OK when the amp is selected however the supply voltage
measures 34.9 volts instead of 48, confirmed with front panel and fluke
across the terminals. A small heat-sink in the power supply that has
four FET's and one TO200 diode mounted on it is rapidly heating.

Any thoughts on a possible cause?

I have not been successful in sourcing much information on this supply
other than a general data-sheet, certainly no schematics, though its a
switch mode power supply so...
Any more info out there?

Martin, HS0ZED