[Amps] SB-220 6M conversion

Artek Manuals Manuals at ArtekManuals.com
Fri Jun 5 23:47:02 EDT 2020

Agree in principle..QSK on 6M not that important

Dave
NR1DX

On 6/5/2020 11:30 PM, Jim wrote:
> Good article except for tearing out the original relay. Not necessary,
> unless you want to use QSK or hate the sound of loud relays (like I do).
>

> Thanks
> 73
> Jim W7RY
>
> On 6/5/2020 10:24 PM, Adrian wrote:
>> Have you seen this one Steve ?� ;
>>
>> http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Technology/QST_Apr_2008_p38-40.pdf
>>

>> On 6/6/20 1:10 pm, Artek Manuals wrote:
>>> I have enough HF amps here (four at last count) One of them is an
>>> ancient SB-220 , so I thought what the heck I would "hack" it and
>>> turn it into a 6M single band. I have a folder� full of articles on
>>> how to from the last 20 + years.
>>>
>>> All done "physically" but try as I may I can not get more than about
>>> 600w out .
>>>
>>> 1) Two different tank circuits , one with a section of the original
>>> 10/15� coil from the SB220 and a 2nd one with a a piece of flat
>>> copper strap ...no difference
>>> 2) Changed the parasitic chokes
>>> 3) Tried� "T" input match. Pi input match , straight through ...no
>>> difference
>>> 4) Plate voltage is 2400 unloaded and about 2050 loaded in CW position
>>> 5) Bias measures 6V
>>> 7) Has new Hardbach bias and diode and metering board
>>> 8) Older set of Eimac 3-500Z and newer set RF Parts 3-300ZG ...no

www.ArtekManuals.com