[Amps] Clipperton L

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Sun Mar 22 14:35:15 EDT 2020

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2020 21:14:37 -0500
From: stan gammons <sg063015 at gmail.com>
To: amps at contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Clipperton L

<I've been messing with a Clipperton L lately.? It's been to long since I
<messed with a Clipperton L, so I have forgotten what the plate current
<should be if the amp is keyed and no RF applied. IF the current meter is
<correct, it looks like I have around 280 milliamps on low plate voltage
<which is around 1800 volts.? Is that too much plate current?

<Stan
<KM4HQE

##  .280  x 1800 =   504  watts...way  too  much.

##  how  much  is  idle  current  when  on  SSB  position ?   What  is  B+  when  on  ssb  position ?  (should  be  2700 vdc).

##  It  appears  the  9.1  volt,  50  watt  zener,  used  for  bias  has  shorted. (D1- 1N3308)   Replace with  a  series  string  of  13-15   x  1N5408  /    6A10 diodes.

Jim VE7RF.