[Amps] SB220 Meter blown

Gary Schafer garyschafer at largeriver.net
Sat May 16 14:57:58 EDT 2020

Jim is correct. It depends on the meter circuit that is used. You need to
calculate how much voltage will appear at the meter.
I have a drake L7 that I added protection diodes to. I was going to just
hang diodes across the meter shunt but in looking at it I found that it was
a very low value and that the meter did not have much series resistance.
Putting the diode directly across the meter or across the meter shunt would
allow too much current in the meter before the diodes would conduct.

I ended up lowering the series meter resistor and placing another resistor
in series where I placed the diodes. In case of a glitch this would allow
the voltage across the diodes to rise high enough to conduct before the
meter voltage gets to a dangerous level but not conduct at full amp
operating current.

73
Gary  K4FMX