[Amps] 30S-1 screen-boost question

Joe Giacobello, K2XX k2xx at swva.net
Wed May 27 18:39:21 EDT 2020

Peter, I don't remember all the details of transformer behavior
characteristics.   But there are ways of increasing the output of
transformer windings by adding additional turns to its secondary from a
second transformer.  However, if the additional turns voltage is out of
phase with the original transformer, the net effect will be a decrease
(buck) rather than the desired increase (boost) in the desired voltage.
I was on top of the concept when I made the original mod, but the
details are somewhat vague in my mind these days.

I believe the increased output (1.5 KW) was indeed obtained by running
the amp in AB1 or AB2, i.e SSB mode even when running CW.  I believe
that it didn't exceed the screen voltage specs on the 4CX1000A, but it
was on the high end of the range altho I can't be sure.  The details are
somewhat vague in my mind after this many years and I'm sure I gave
myself an ad hoc crash course in the relevant technology at the time.

73 es 55,

Joe
K2XX