[Amps] SB220 running plate current when no drive; Problem

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 8 11:51:41 EDT 2020

I had an AL80A for which I built a 4000 V power supply. The output network needed a fair bit of change on the low bands because the load point changed, but it would easily make 1200 W out on 40 m (the sweet spot for that amp). It was much easier to drive, too. I also replaced the original fan with a quieter, highe-volume flow one

The manual states not to exceed 200 mA grid current; Eimac instead provides max grid dissipation numbers and maximum tube seal temperatures, along with a max anode current of 400 mA. I figured that as long as the tube seals stayed in spec, the rest took care of itself.

I re-wrote the tune up procedure in the manual then sold that amp to a guy that really wanted it warning him that if he didn’t pay strict attention as he tuned it he was at risk of causing the band switch to arc. I assume he’s still using it as I never heard of any trouble from him.

Kim N5OP

"People that make music together cannot be enemies, at least as long as the music lasts." -- Paul Hindemith

> On Oct 8, 2020, at 10:38 AM, David Gow <6146guy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> For actual Eimac tubes the Eima DATA sheet shows much greater
> efficiency and usable power with 4000 volts on the plates.  Henry made
> several amps with a 3200 or 4000- volt switch and  the 3KA   I had easily
> made the legal limit  at 4000 volts with the original tubes after 21 years
> withHenry spec. grid and plate current being carefully maintained.  He
> wanted to buy new tubes and I discouraged him,  When I last heard from him
> four years after the sale he was still running the Eimacs. with a new pair
> of chinese tubes on the shelf gathering dust losing vacuum.
> Dave W7VM
>
>> On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 6:27 AM Joe <nss at mwt.net> wrote:
>>
>> What is the current (pun intended) max grid current for a pair of
>> 3-500Z's now days?
>>
>> And does it matter what the Plate voltage is?
>>
>> Joe WB9SBD
>>
>>> On 10/8/2020 6:39 AM, Rob Atkinson wrote:
>>> Never heard of an ICAS rating for the 3-500.  I have a dual 3-500
>>> amplifier with a pair of 20 year old RF Parts 3-500s and they're still
>>> at full output, but they have been run conservatively especially with
>>> regard to grid current.
>>>
>>> 73
>>> Rob
>>> K5UJ