[Amps] Switching between two amplifiers

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Sat Apr 3 13:59:10 EDT 2021

Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2021 12:54:29 +0000 (UTC)
From: Dick NY1E <dick at ny1e.com>
To: "amps at contesting.com" <amps at contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Switching between two amplifiers

<I want to? switch between using my homebrew amp or a TL-922A, I could use a pair of coax switches, but would like a single knob to eliminate operator error! What are others using to do this? de Dick NY1E

##  I wire the  amps  nose to tail...in series.   BUT  that requires the  TR relays in both  amps to be able to handle full  power..on  bypass mode.

##  I have wired as many as  4 x drake L4Bs in series.    Key line from  xcvr goes to the common of a small rotary switch. ...then a key line cable to each amp.   Every 2nd position on the rotary switch is for an amp. The un used positions
on the  rotary switch are for bypass, aka  standby positions.   Its a simple mech interlock, that ensures only ONE amp can be keyed at one time.   Then tune up the various amps for  cw and ssb on same band, or  4 x different bands,
or any combo u can think of.

##  Same deal on the HB  amps that use vac relays.

Jim   VE7RF