[Amps] 1N2637

Robert W5AJ woodr90 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 00:50:52 EDT 2021

W1KSZ, W4BIN and W7VM,

Thanks
since was testing with Fluke – I’ve already Googled (the amp was built back in 81 that these 1N2637 are being removed from) and the Fluke 87 just wasn’t cutting the mustard….

First cleaned up the pins and top connector, noticed film had formed.
fired up 13.8Vdc supply
13.8Vdc to Anode, and other to fluke on voltage measurements
and other Fluke test lead to pin X or Y (Pin 1 or 4 on 1N2637)
(Flip to insure no voltage reading in reverse direction – done)
they test good – voltage readings only in one direction

However
Saw in the HB Amp that I’d connected both FAT pins together
that was big clue that something wasn’t consistent between the tube
so the diodes would work in any socket

photos in link below show the pin on side of tube base
pin 1 or 4 is used, there is a difference in the four that Testing bore out
set of shorter 1N2637 on one FAT pin and the taller set of 1N2637 uses the other FAT pin

http://pages.suddenlink.net/w5aj/pinX.jpg

http://pages.suddenlink.net/w5aj/pinY.jpg

slight difference in dV across diode string

All good, on to rebuilding this OLD HB amp

73 W5AJ
Robert
Midland, Texas
http://pages.suddenlink.net/w5aj/