[Amps] 89 Alpha schematic

MU 4CX250B 4cx250b at miamioh.edu
Sun Apr 4 20:50:15 EDT 2021

Clearly there’s an error in the schematic. So far as I can tell, the
fuse should be in series with R10, the surge-limiting resistor. It’s
purpose is not to protect R10, but to protect the amplifier in case
the soft-start relay (or associated timing circuit) malfunctions and
doesn’t close. In that (unlikely) event, the amplifier will try to run
with R10 in line. The operator may not notice anything awry until the
amplifier starts to draw plate current. Eventually R10 will burn out,
but in the interim the filament voltage and bias voltage will be too
low, and the plate voltage will sag. The fuse, if properly placed,
will blow and shut the amplifier down before any damage could can
occur. We can debate the wisdom of including the fuse in the
amplifier, but I’m inclined to leave it out. It reminds me of the fuse
designers used to place in the cathode lead of grounded grid
amplifiers. Again, it’s best left out.
73,
Jim w8zr

Sent from my iPhone