[Amps] Alpha 87A Won't Transmit

gudguyham gudguyham at aol.com
Thu Apr 8 10:07:48 EDT 2021

It’s nearly impossible to get a good solder connection on foam type coax.  To do a good soldered pl259 you need to run the braid well so that soldering it to the shell makes a good connection to the braid.  You’ll melt any foam when trying to probably tin the braid.  However on poly type center conductor that can withstand the heat required to tin the braid you can effectively do a soldered connection to that type of coax and many hams like poly because it can be soldered.  When I encounter foam coax I do crimp the braid but still solder the center conductor.

Sent from the all new AOL app for iOS