[Amps] Alpha 87A Won't Transmit

Ian White GM3SEK gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Fri Apr 9 15:56:24 EDT 2021

Two tricks that help with soldering to conventional PL259 bodies:

1. File across each of the four solder holes using a 1/8in round file,
reducing the thickness of metal to leave sharp edges of bare brass. The
thin metal is much easier to heat up with a soldering iron.

2. To make even less work for the soldering iron, pre-heat the connector
body to around 100C/200F usinga hot-air gun. (Take care not to blow hot
air directly onto the cable jacket; if necessary, loosely wrap the
exposed jacket with aluminum foil.)

With these methods, even a 40W soldering iron can give good joints every
time.

73 from Ian GM3SEK