[Amps] 2K Classic X filament issue

Martin Sole hs0zed at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 10:52:58 EDT 2021

I'm with those who mentioned the socket clips. I had a similar problem
on my 2K Classic X, full export, big transformer, ex UN (I'm told). A
decent pair of pointed pliers should allow you to wriggle the clips off
the socket pins. I swapped a couple of the grid pins with the two
filament pins for both tubes and have not had a problem since.

My 2K also has the Johnson sockets and I'm not real impressed with them,
especially with tubes than have the pin retaining ring. This blocks some
of the socket holes and directs the airflow only through the centre
spigot area and out across the pin seals. That might be a preferred
solution but it seems it must be quite restrictive. I do have a pair of
Chinese copy air-system style sockets, gifted to me by a very fine
gentleman of this list, and once I have located the requisite "round
tuit" I may fit them. I have a second 2K Classic that came to me as 90%
complete and 20% messed with so they might go in that first to see
before it gets the full 2x8877 conversion.

The big transformer allows about 3800v off load about 2kW out at full
puff, staying within the Ia and Ig specs. I suspect these amps are even
happier on 60Hz with cooler transformers and faster blowers.

Martin, HS0ZED