[Amps] Testing Tubes with a Henry 2K

Donald Fox taurusshoguy at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 22 13:14:07 EDT 2021

 Re removing a plate cap for one of the tubes, that occurred to me. My concern was could the grid on the disconnected tube be damaged by applying drive without plate voltage? My worry there arises from being taught to never apply drive to a tetrode that has filament/bias, and screen voltage present without plate voltage. We are not working with a tetrode though!

I still think the dummy 3-500 socket sounds neat. Basically, a 75 watt resistive load in place of one tube. Carl, if what you suggest will work, we may have found a use for those gassy 3-500's we can't bring ourselves to part with, because they look so stately. :0)

I have one of them here, with pretty red lettering, that glows a bright purple when drive is applied.

Don