[Amps] Triode Amps

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 2 15:16:25 EST 2021

I'm glad my amp has only *one* of these:
https://mfjenterprises.com/collections/ameritron/products/383-1200-z7-2
at $3499 a shot, except that mine uses the earlier -A7 version which is
even more expensive and nearly impossible to find. Fortunately, years
ago a friend found a good pull for me at a hamfest for $400, so I'm set.

The 3-500Z is an excellent tube, but 1500 W isn't reasonably available
out of a pair, even at increased plate voltage. Based on the sec sheet,
the 4CX1500 (~$1600) won't make 1500 W output in AB1. A 4cx3000 looks to
be a good choicebut still pricey at $2800. Oh, and if you need a socket?
That'll be $1200!

Kim N5OP

//