[Amps] Acom 2000A controller issue

Eric Dobrowansky k2cb at comcast.net
Sun Dec 5 20:19:43 EST 2021

I am working on an Acom 2000A with the newer controller (color display).

The amp worked fine the last time it was turned on a few months ago.  Now, when the main power switch is turned on, the controller will beep with a steady tone for a minute or so, no LCD display shows. Then, after awhile, the display will flicker, flash on and off, sometimes white, and the beep will come and go. Sometimes, after been left alone for 10 minutes or so, the display start to flicker, then eventually stay on, minus the callsign info.  At that time, if I press the red power button, the amp will still not turn on.

Would a dead battery on the main unit CPU cause this failure mode?   I seem to recall the older style controllers would still power up the amp in this case.   Is there a battery in this newer style remote control unit? Or does the newer style controller act differently than the old controller, in reference to the main cpu battery failing?

The way it is acting, it seems to point to the controller, but I'm not sure at this point. Especially the way the display flickers for a few minutes when it does start to come on.

Searching the web has not yielded any pertinent information.  Any input would be greatly appreciated. I have sent an email to Acom, but figured I would ask here on the mailing list as well.

Eric
K2CB