[Amps] AL82 pi network C2 failure

Robert W5AJ woodr90 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 15:52:53 EST 2021

Tom,  could you forward photo of the Vacuum Variable modification?

My AL82 has failed C2 in the output PI network.  My hypothesis is while
operating amp (and a prior command amp) on 80 meters, a failure occurs in
the phased HF2V network.
This could be in relay switching or arcing across the vertical base
insulator (black marks found).
I've since installed 80m vertical that seems to solve the 80m antenna issue,
if that was the fault.   But the AL82 needs new variable capacitor in Pi
network
The one in the AL82 seems bit narrow on spacing, a direct replacement is
option.
IF others have replaced said variable capacitor in AL82 or done Vacuum
modification on any amp, I'd be interested in outcome.
TU
73 Robert W5AJ