[Amps] Hi-pot testing

Steve Bookout steve at nr4m.com
Fri Feb 12 17:39:46 EST 2021

Hello all,

Several months ago, I had a problem with a 40 year old HB amp for 160.
Just sitting there, it started making an arcing noise (sort of) and
showed plate current jumping around.

Now, I'm finally looking into it.  I'm using a HB hi-pot tester and am
testing pieces and parts up to their voltage rating.  FYI, the plate
voltage is 4 KV and most things are rated much higher.  I was checking
things out at 5 to 6 KV with very minimal current showing.  Happy with
that.

Question:  Someone once told me that new Eimac tubes were tested at
twice their rated voltage.  Ok, fine.  What about capacitors?
So, what should it test if it were brand new?

73 de Steve, NR4M