[Amps] Hi-pot testing

John Lyles jtml at losalamos.com
Sat Feb 13 01:12:34 EST 2021

What sort of current can your hi potter provide in an arc? Depending on
the energy it dumps, you might be careful when raising voltage above the
ratings of parts. I would not risk running capacitors or wiring,
rectifiers, above their rating. If they are vacuum capacitors you can
get away with higher. For tubes, you should be able to test them above
rating. Most of the ratings are for circuit operation, and in AM it is
much lower than it is for FM/CW, due to the modulation peaks. But high
potting a tube out of the amplifier circuit, should allow running them a
few kV above the datasheet operating maximums noted above. I high pot a
tube that runs at 15 kV, at 20-25 kV typically when new. With a high
potter than can only run a few mA, the risk of damage due to an internal
arc is low, if the high potter can shut off quickly. When I hi pot a
tube and it does breakdown internally, it just tics the current meter
and clicks off the high potter. This is benign for tubes, unless you
have a nasty flash arc over the outside of the tube in air and the high
potter says on.

73

John

K5PRO