[Amps] 1N Diodes

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Jul 2 04:02:27 EDT 2021

On 7/1/2021 3:39 PM, Mark - N5OT wrote:
>> Just use the right diode to begin with..and that's not the 1N400X series.
>

> Not sure how to interpret your comment.  It comes with a 1N4001 from the
> factory.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the mfr didn't cheap out. TenTec did
with many of the generic Motorola parts in the keying logic circuit in
the 425 by using the lowest voltage or current rated parts in the
family. The result was that anything going wrong would pop a lot of them.

And so did the mfr of the security systems I serviced in the '70s that
took hits from lightning on small signal wiring connected to simple
interfaces.

One of the dumbest guidelines in electronics is "follow the
manufacturer's directions." Many manufacturers are clueless about how
their equipment should properly and safely be used in the field. Almost
every manual for ham gear shows a drawing connecting the chassis screw
labeled "ground" to the earth, with not a single word about bonding.
Yes, it must go to the earth, but more important, everything in the
shack must be bonded together, that common point must go a bond of all
other earth electrodes, and certainly to the antenna entry panel.

I'm a contributor to N0AX's fine ARRL book on the topic, and we just
finished work on the second edition this spring. Here are slides for a
talk I've done at Visalia and to several ham clubs. Don't let the title
in the link fool you.

http://k9yc.com/GroundingAndAudio.pdf

73, Jim K9YC