[Amps] FT8 power with the KPA1500

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Jul 8 16:47:36 EDT 2021

Hi Tom,

WSJT modes are WEAK SIGNAL modes, NOT LOW POWER modes. Yes, the 35-40W
suggestions are for operation on HF, are entirely appropriate -- UNLESS
more power is needed to get over the RX noise level of the station that
you're trying to work.

These levels are NOT appropriate for 6,000 mile paths on 160M (for me,
Northern Cal to EU), or the wildly variable propagation on 6M, where the
signal to noise ratio can go from +30 dB to -20 dB over the course of a
few minutes.

And I've been a CW op for 65 years! I regularly contest around 30wpm

73, Jim K9YC