[Amps] 300Hz sidebands

sm0aom at telia.com sm0aom at telia.com
Wed May 26 07:02:22 EDT 2021

Yes, a sense of perspective and proportions always helps.

A lot of current amateur gear show quite atrocious adjacent channel performance,
especially in the hands of the "all knobs to the right" crowd.

I am currently engaged as a consultant in an HF transmitter procurement project for air/ground services,
where adjacent channel performance actually is taken seriously.

Here the "specmanship" in terms of power output
and distortion levels from certain manufacturers really shows off.

It shows without doubt that in order to have "clean" signals, you have
to specify carefully, pay a lot, and finally operate your gear within specifications.

I have read the works of K9YC, and he is cited in the paper,
"Performance Limitations For HF Communications Systems Using Realisable Hardware Solutions"
that SM5HP and I wrote for the Nordic HF Conference in 2019 about how the improvements in receiver technology have essentially become "nullified" by the worsening transmitter adjacent channel emissions.

It is no real "point" in marketing receivers boasting 110 dB close-in dynamic ranges, when current transmitters are
in the -30 to -50 dB range in the first and second adjacent channels.

73/
Karl-Arne
SM0AOM