[Amps] Verify "Q"

sm0aom at telia.com sm0aom at telia.com
Sun Oct 17 06:20:04 EDT 2021

Q is usually chosen between 10 and 15, somewhat depending on how much losses can be tolerated,
and how much harmonic suppression is required.

Verifying loaded or operating Q can easiest be done by using an antenna analyser or VNA connected to the
output end of the pi-network and replacing the tube output impedance with a resistor of the proper value.

Then measure the bandwidth when adjusted for resonance between the  3 dB return loss or 5.8:1 SWR points and divide the centre frequency with
this value. Double the result for a first-order approximation for the loaded Q of the pi-network.

A pi-network has a slightly asymmetric amplitude response which makes the traditional Q = 2Cf/BW for a terminated network somewhat inaccurate.

73/
Karl-Arne
SM0AOM